Attaching the Grip

Attaching the grip will be straightforward, but a bit tedious if I want to do it right. AK grips are designed to bolt onto a mounting boss on the lower receiver. I’ll have to make one for my stock. You can see it in the exploded view below.

Image

Here’s my version. I designed it a bit bulkier than usual, since I’ll be making it out of aluminum, not steel.

lbc gip block

I usually just take a few notes on paper from my cad model and bring that to the shop, but this time I made a real drawing.  You can see version 1 there in the back, I’ll get to that in a second.

20140316_150819

I won’t get into it, but it’ll suffice to say that all the following steps I had to do twice. I estimated some of the grip dimensions in the cad drawing before I got it, then forgot to update them. I did this whole process once and ended up with a part that didn’t fit. Bummer.

20140315_152147

On to version 2..

First I faced a plate down to the correct thickness. I was able to find a suitable piece of stock in the scrap bin, score :).

20140316_165600

Next I used the readouts to cut out the square profile based on the coordinates from my drawing.

20140316_173923

After that I re-clamped the piece a couple of times and milled off the radius left over from before.

20140316_180219

I marked the bottom edge where the point of the triangle should go, then scribed the new edges by hand. There’s a little gap between these surfaces and the grip, so they don’t need to be perfectly accurate.

20140316_181333

To cut these faces, I clamped the piece in the vice such that the lines I scribed were parallel to the vice jaw.

20140316_181637

Looks good! I accidentally cut the long face a little too deep, but luckily it shouldn’t effect the calculations or functionality.

20140316_183048

The radius part isn’t critical or visible, so I decided to just rough it with a file. It was actually easier than I though. It only took a few minutes, and came out nice and accurate.

20140316_184525

After that it was just regular drilling and tapping.

20140316_193545

It fits! Woot!

20140316_200045

Time to drill matching holes in the stock.

20140316_203048

Here’s the finished Boss. it could use a little cleaning up but it works great. If I had to guess, I’d say this little piece took me 4 hours. More if you include v1. Machining requires a lot of patience.

20140316_203218

Here it is with the grip mounted. I’m really happy with it, it doesn’t wiggle at all.

20140316_203345

20140316_203806

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s